Saturday, July 17, 2010

My hand at smoking.

The cajun rub on the left and the mesquite on the right.
Close up of the cajun rub chicken.

Last weekend I tried smoking a rack of pork loin ribs and a pork loin. They turned out OK. The ribs could have been a little more tender and the loin should have marinated longer. If I had to do it over again I would have smoked the ribs for 8 hours instead of 6 and at a little higher temp. The loin was only marinated for about an hour. I think over night would have been a lot better. This weekend I thought I would try chicken. Friday after work I picked up a couple of 4 lbs chickens and started preparing them last night at 6pm. I rubbed one down with a Mesquite rub and the other with a Cajun rub. I let them stay in the fridge over night and this morning at 7:30 I pulled them out and mopped them with brown sugar, butter, thyme, paprika, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. They went into the smoker at 8:30am and the first turn was at 10:30am. They got turned and mopped at 12:30pm and pulled out at 1:15pm. They turned out pretty good. I think next on the agenda is fish.

No comments: