Friday, February 06, 2009

Asian Culture Night.

After work I came home just in time to retrieve a couple of packages off of the front porch and then grabbed a jacket and was whisked away to Asian Culture Night. Needles and I joined Rudy, Brando and the Funky Bunch and G and H for the Asian experience. We first sat and waited on our table companions to arrive. Once they did it wasn't too long before they opened the buffet line and guess who's table was first to be let go. Let me tell you I scrambled down the hall way like a mad man. I think I was first to load my plate and return to my seat. They served several authentic Asian dishes like Kimchee, Korean beef BBQ, fried rice, egg drop soup and for dessert green tea pound cake. It was all very good and after I scarfed it down it was time for the entertainment. The University Band played some Asian Music with gongs, drums and a flute.


Next on the agenda was a dragon dance that snaked his way around the room. Several of the Asian students attending the University had small skits telling about their culture and how things are similar but different. All of the Asian attendees stood on stage and announced their names and their country of origin. By far the most were from Hong Kong, China with several from South Korea, Thailand, Vietnam and Japan. It was very interesting and a lot of fun to experience this with my family and friends. To end the evening there was a couple that played very unusual instruments from Vietnam. The sounds they produced were unlike anything I have heard before. I can't say that it is my kind of music but it was neat to hear and see how some of instruments worked and how the sounds were made. I had a lot of fun.
Enjoy Old Suzanna Asian Style.

1 comment:

Ragged Around the Edges said...

Sounds like fun!