Saturday, August 16, 2008

Watching Antenna in HD.

Today after breakfast of bagels and 89er's blend coffee Needles and I went to the big city to do some shopping and some grocery getting. Little did she know that I had secretly planned to get an antenna for our local channels. After stopping by Needles work and visiting with her co worker, boss and bosses family we stopped in at the grocery store and then ran by JC Pennys which was fruitless. We walked down by Radio Shack and I asked if they had any TV antennas and about half way through my question I noticed the 10 ft antenna bolted to the ceiling in the shop so I stopped my question short. I said "I need one of those" and he said "that was the biggest one they have in stock". I said "I need one" and they started to bring the box from the back. I thought the box would be about 6ft long and easily fit in the car with the back seat down. NO. This thing was 8ft long and there was no way. I told them we had a little more shopping to do and I would be back withe the truck. We then stopped to eat at Wendy's and then dropped by Wally World on the way home. We then returned home and got the truck to return for our purchases. After home the work began. I was determined to get this thing up so that we can at least watch the last week of the Olympics. No thanks to DirecTV since they have no plans in ever getting local channels in our area. Our Olympic viewing consisted of 2 hours from 5 to 7pm in the evening and they were mostly the off games like marble shooting and who can make the largest belly button lint ball. By the way I would so rule in that competition. I would bring USA the gold with a little bit of white and gray mixed in. Anyway we started to work on the antenna about 4pm and had it up and running in about 3 hours. There were several tough issues with this little venture. Our old antenna had lost all of its aerials and didn't work at all. Also the bolts that attached the antenna to the pole was rusted so that I couldn't get it off. I took a pair of side cuts to cut the bolts but standing 20 ft in the air and cut bolts with one hand while trying not to fall and kill myself was tricky. After an attempt to cut the bolts failed I began to beat on the bracket with a hammer. The top bracket came off quickly but then the bottom bracket started to go and bend to my left, then snap and boom the thing was on the ground. I fell 3 inches from the neighbors wooden fence. If it would have went to my right it would have taken out the phone line and to the left would have been the power line. Both not good options so it fell exactly as it needed to and avoided any issue. I guess a little luck shines on you every once and a while. After that it was a challenge to hoist an fully expanded antenna attached to a ten foot mast to the roof. Last but probably the hardest part about the while ordeal was trying to fish the coaxe cable through the wall to took it up. We finally manage to get it all done and then came the moment of truth. To see how many channels we get. After pointing the antenna to Terre Haute our market area we did the scan and got 6 analog and 10 digital channels. I was thrilled and started to watch the Olympics but after about 45 minutes the channel started to fade and the digital channel broke up and was gone. I thought might as well try Evansville and pointed the antenna in that general direction. I went inside and did a channel scan and was amazed that we could pick up 9 analog and 15 digital channels. I pulled out my GPS to see which city was closest thinking Terre Haute was since we are considered in their market and not eligible for local channels and was surprised that Evansville is 53 miles as the crow flies. Terre Haute is 58 miles. Hmmm. Anyway we have all the channels from Eville and also can pick up a few Terre Haute channels too. I am pleased with the purchase and am thrilled to finally have our local channels. No more waiting for Heros to rerun on Scifi. Take that DirecTV!

2 comments:

K_Dense73 said...

I miss DirecTV. Now we have stupid old Time Warner cable which is more expensive. Congratulations on getting local channels. Now you can watch "normal" tv.

Rudy said...

I want my I want my I want my antenna HD. Glad you have locals now bubby.