Monday, December 08, 2008

Back Home


We arrived home around 3pm or so yesterday. We had a good time but even a 4 day weekend is too short. While we were in KY we did a little shopping and I ate like a pig. My mother thought we didn't have enough desserts so she made 3 while we were there. Chocolate no bake cookie, German Chocolate cake and scalloped pineapple. All were very good and I limited myself to only a dozen or so no bakes. It was hard but I do have a small amount of will power. We are now home and have all too easily slipped back into our usual mundane lives. Of the last several weekends we have been gone or busy for most of them. I think we have earned a bit of a rest.


This morning we awoke to a nice glazing of ice over everything. The morning started off with a friend calling and telling me that his car was off in the ditch. Also that his wife had slipped and fell in the driveway going out to her car. I told Needles to stay home a couple hours before heading to work to let the sun melt the ice. I unfortunately had to go into the mess. It was hard even walking out the garage and the roads were slick until I got about a mile from the house. Then it was 35mph all the way to work. When I arrived at work I pulled into the parking lot just in time to see a mini van bounce off another car in the parking lot. I slowly drove down the lot and thought I had better park away from the accident only to apply the brake and slide sideways down the parking lot in the direction of the van. I did come to a stop several feet from the van and I was lined up perfectly for the parking space in front of me so I put forward about 15 feet and say that was good enough. I had to walk in the grass up to my work because the blacktop was like an ice rink. By noon the temps had gotten above 40 so the ice was gone for the drive home. I hope we don't have any more of that. I can handle the snow but I hate the ice.


PS. On the way to work I saw an ambulance in the ditch. Also we had our fair share of injuries in the ER from the ice. Two fractured knees and a fractured hip on the day. I am sure we will have a few more trickle in over the next few days. Be careful out there boys and girls.

1 comment:

Ragged Around the Edges said...

Slip, sliding away, eh?