Monday, May 08, 2017

PRK Adventure


My boss had PRK (photorefractive keratectomy) about a month ago and had very good results. My brother had Lasik's a couple of years back and even though he had good results he did have some complications that kind of concerned me. The price my boss told me was reasonable and cheaper than I had imagined it would be so I decided to take the plunge and do it. I called and made my appointment on May 8th. I went into my appointment not knowing if I would even be a candidate for the procedure as my boss and brother had a much less prescription than myself. My boss said she was about a 20/100 were I was probably around a 20/500. First you have to keep your contacts out for at least 3 days before your appointment. I arrived a checked in and was quickly called back for my appointment. After a few eyes measurements and some eye charts they sat me in an exam room and told me that I would be a good candidate. A very nice lady came in and discussed my options, potential side effects of the procedure, financing and asked when I would like to have to the procedure. I said I would like to have it as soon as I could so I was told they could do it May 18th and if I wanted they could continue the pre procedure testing today if I would like. Dilated eyes and several tests later the Dr. came in to do the final test with the photoropter and answer any questions I might have. We did discuss Lasix's vs PRK and he recommended without a doubt that PRK would be the better procedure with a better outcome for my prescription strength. He was afraid that the flap (Lasik') would not seat well with the amount of material the laser would need to remove from my eye. After the discussion they did one final pressure test on my eye and I was good to go. With my eyes being dilated they gave me a pair of plastic film sunglasses to protect my eyes as it was a very bright and sunny day.

No comments: