Thursday, May 18, 2017

PRK Procedure Day

I was given 3 prescriptions on my initial appointment Moxenza eye drops (antibacterial), Durezol drops (Steroid) and a Rx for a couple Valium. On the day of my appointment I checked in with my drops and pills in hand and after a few moments they called me back to the exam room to sign paperwork, pay for the procedure and pop one of the Valiums to relax me for the procedure but I think it was more for the post procedure. It was then that I was given Prolenza drops (anti-inflammatory and pain), the Refresh artificial tears drops (rewetting) and my eye pack containing eye shields, tape and sunglasses. I was returned back to the waiting room and sat in the waiting room for about 2 minutes and was called me back to the procedure/surgery room. They laid me down on an exam chair/table and then proceeded to lower my head below the rest of my body. They placed a hair covering on me and tucked some gauze under the band of the hair covering at my temples. They placed a numbing drop in each eye and then placed a gauze with tape over my left eye. The laser device was placed over my face and centered over the right eye. It was at this point the Dr. entered the room and a eyelid spreader was placed into my right eye and a ring was placed contacting my iris. I was told I might feel some pressure as the ring cut a circular slice in the cornea. Some drops was dripped into the ring and obscured my vision. When the fluid was removed after a few seconds with a small triangular sponge. This apparently is alcohol that softens the corneal and the fluid and cornea is wiped away with the sponge. Looking up into the laser there is a red center light that you are to look at during the reshaping. My reshaping took 35 seconds per eye. When the laser is on you hear a popping/Taser type sound and when you hear the popping the red light you are looking at kind of dims a little and I noticed a little blueish halo start to form around the red light and get more prominent with every pulse of the laser. When the laser part is over they put a circular bandage over the reshaped area of the eye for just a second, I'm assuming this is some kind of medicine infused gauze. They washed the eye with a cool solution and then placed a contact bandage over the area. They then move the gauze and tape from the left eye and placed it over the right and repeated the procedure on the left eye. In total the procedure lasted maybe 10 minutes. When finished I was instructed to go home and take a 3-4 hour nap wearing eye shields that and was in my eye pack which also contained some sunglasses. I noticed when I left that I was able to see road signs although the were blurry. I had some light sensitivity and a double vision thing going on, Honestly I do not remember much of the trip home. I know we stopped at Subway and got some food to take home. Needles was very sweet and went in a got the food so I didn't have to go in all groggy. When I got home I did notice that my eyes felt like they were throbbing so I took some Ibuprofen. I went straight to bed for a couple of hours and woke up hungry as I hadn't eaten anything all day except for a Valium. I ate my Subway sub in what felt like slow motion and then went back to bed for a couple more hours. When I got up I started my eye drops. The rest of the evening just consisted of blurry vision and some light sensitivity followed by an early turn in.

No comments: