Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Shuttle Launch No Fireworks Please.

I am a geek. I like geeky things like NASA and science. The last time the shuttle launched I was unemployed and was at home watching every moment of the preparations, to the launch, the operations in space including the 3 space walks and return to earth. I was glued to the T.V. and even TIVOed the EVA's because they were scheduled at 3 am. Here it is more than a year later and I am watching it again. I am excited at another shuttle launch and also at the same time nervous. They found a crack in the insulating foam around a support but they have decided it was not a problem. As you may remember last time they had a chunk of foam fall off during lift off and a faulty hydrogen sensor in the tank during the preparation of launch. It seems like theres always a glitch, but with millions of things that can go wrong, you are bound to have a glitch or two. I see that one of the news station ran the numbers that there is a 1 in 100 chance that all the shuttle crew would die during the mission. That nice that these scientists and statistions can put a number on death at any given event or time. By the way the average number of people that die in the United States every year from animal or plant poisoning is 9. Interesting. I just hope this launch goes off without a hitch. Good Luck Discovery.

No comments: