Saturday, February 17, 2007

The Last Of The White Stuff.

Last night the snow started and Needles and I could care less. I don't really mind that it snows it is just we both don't like driving in the stuff. I drove many miles in snow when I worked up north and had to drive a couple hundred miles a day a few days a week. Traveling on US70 with semi trucks in front and to the side shedding sheets of ice and large salt and road grim encrusted boulders of ice and snow. Needles had and unfortunate accident , several years ago, when we first started dating and she was coming to see me on New Years Eve. There was snow and ice on the roads and due to a slow driver in front of her she didn't have enough momentum to get up a ice covered hill and looped the truck into the ditch. Ever since she has avoided driving on the stuff as much as possible. I guess I really don't mind driving on it. I mind more the local yahoos that I meet on the roads and the idiots that drive 10 feet off my rear bumper when there is snow and ice. Years ago Needles and I ventured out of the house when we had gotten several inches of the fluffy white stuff and drove out in the country on roads that no one had been on since the snow. It was neat and we got a lot of pretty pictures. It was as if we were miles and miles away from everyone and we would slowly make our way busting our way through small snow drifts and places were we weren't quite sure where the road is ocean of white in the wind swept soybean fields. It won't be here long as it is supposed to warm up next week and get into the 40's and 50's. Today we just stayed in and sipped coffee. The only venture outside was to the front porch to get the mail. Tomorrow will probably be more of the same. Be careful out there.

1 comment:

Ragged Around the Edges said...

I'm not a fan of driving in the stuff, either, but the roads here typically stay pretty clear (snow routes and such.)

Staying inside and drinking coffee sounds divine.