Monday, March 17, 2008

Back from the weekend.

Last Friday Needles and I headed South for the weekend. We arrived at my parents around 7pm and upon walking in the door, supper was ready. I love my Moms cooking and in short order I was enjoying green beans, corn, real mashed potatoes, fish fillets and home made hush puppies. YUM! We then retired to the living room to catch up on things and enjoy each others company. We stayed up late, finally going to bed around 1:30am. The next morning we stayed close to home until noon when Needles and I visited my cousin at his shop. When we got home Mom and Dad drove us around to see the tornado damage that ripped though the area a few weeks ago. It was amazing to see the destruction up close that blazed a trail through the area. We then drove by the trailer court where the 3 people had been killed in the storm. All that was left of the trailer was bits of metal stuck in and around the trees at the end of the lot. Several garages were just gone and the same with roof tops and some that were patched back together as best they could with blue tarps. We would see one house with the windows intact and the one next door with every window blown out. One house was completely destroyed and the trailer right beside it was unscathed. Hundreds of trees were twisted off mid trunk and a lot of evergreens were bent over from the several inches of ice and snow that just hit the area just a week before but has now melted away. That evening my Aunt brought homemade vegetable soup and we got to talk and catch up. Sunday we went to the hospital to visit my great aunt that had fallen just a few days before and broke her hip. She had surgery and is now in a sheltered care center. We got to spend some time with her but with the medications they have her on she was slipping in and out of consciousness so we decided to leave her to her nap and go back to my parents house and prepare to make the trip back home. We left around 2:15pm and arrived home at 5pm. Last night I got laundry caught up and we watched our Netflicks movie that arrived while we were gone. We had a good trip but it was too short. I am counting down the days until vacation.

No comments: