Monday, September 19, 2005

Venting Again...

I live in a very small town of about 1100 people and even though I live in the Mid West the hill billy influence is very apparent. A small town has its advantages and disadvantages. It seems as I grow older the disadvantages seems to become more and more apparent. Maybe I am turning into a crabby old man. When I was young and in college my brother and I worked on his 85 GMC Jimmy and put in a kicking sound system. As we lived in the country at the time and would to rattle the gutters on the house and shake birds nests out of the rafters of the shed. We quickly grew out of that phase as most of the time when going on dates the girls didn't appreciate the whole body message from the speakers. Some tones were so low you didn't hear them you felt them. Anyway we soon seemed to resolve to more practical sound systems and happy girlfriends. I now set in the house and hear the thump, Thump, THUMP, Thump, thump of the youngens driving by in there vehicles that look like there worth about $800 with a stereo that probably cost more than that. Just makes less sense to me now. Another thing that bites my hind end is a young man that moved in about a year ago down the street. I have know him most of my life and he has always been the sort that if it has a button he has to push it, not once but about a thousand times. Also if it has and engine he has to reeve it, or make it louder. Problem is most of his friends are immature and has the same mentality as him. Most of the people that live in and around my neighborhood is retired or close to it. They go to sleep around 9pm only to hear these goofballs running up and down the road revving there engines late into the night. It's so loud it rattles the windows of my house. Demo derby season is a month to 6 weeks of roaring of engines for at least and hour every evening. So many times I have heard the revving and hoped the engine blows up. My prayers haven't been answered yet. It just astounds me that people can be so inconsiderate and ignorant of other peoples feelings and annoyances. I know it annoys the hell out of me and I live down the street. I fear that the ignorant inherit the earth. I would mention the advantages to a small town but I can't think of any.

No comments: