Thursday, November 17, 2005

Buck Fever.

Yes, I am a hunter.... I know a lot of people don't like to think that a person like me goes into the woods with a gun a blows away Bambi, but I do and I enjoy it. Does this make me a bad person? Maybe I shouldn't ask that question in a public forum like this but I know many people who think deer are cute and pretty until they wrinkle the finder on their vehicle and then they want them dead. There is a lot of farmers here in the mid-west and I am sure they appreciate that we are as South Park might say " thin out the numbers" to keep them from eatting away some of their profits. I think the reason I like hunting so much is because my father got me interested it at young age, and when I go hunting I feel like I am becoming more like him. He is the nicest, most respectable man I know and have always looked up to him. Another reason is that I enjoy the outdoors. Most of the time you are hunting it is just setting around and watching the sun breaking the horizon, the frost being turned into early morning fog by the suns horizontal beams streaking across the ground. At times while I have been in a deer stand, it wasn't hard to imagine that I was farther from the ground than my usual 15 feet or so due to the inability to see the ground. Hearing the sounds of the woods waking up for the morning is fresh and new each time. The rustle of leaves as the calm is broken by a morning breeze. Or the crash of the leaves as a squirrel begins its early morning forage for food. Crows cawing in the distance. The site of my warm breath billowing out as the sun peaks to see what this day may bring. Yes it is quite a rush to have a deer step into range for a shot but that is in some ways icing on a cake that is delicious without it. Why else would I keep coming back for seconds icing or not. I also enjoy hunting because it is a reminder of good times when my Father, Brother and I would go rabbit hunting on the weekends. That is probably the times that I cherish the most when I think back on my childhood. Still when we get together, we bring up good times we had and things that happened while on the hunt. Tomorrow is the first day of gun deer season and I am going to work, but I assure you my thoughts will be about hunting and setting in a deer stand. After work Needles and I are going to the hunting lodge of Needlefingers moms house and will be there for the weekend for the hunt. Wish me luck. Maybe I will have a hunting story to post next week.

No comments: