Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Rain in the Mornin, Rain in the Evenin, Storms at Supper Time.

Just 2 weeks ago I said " I am glad this year during deer season that the ground won't be muddy and soupy like it was last year." When will I learn to keep my mouth shut. I am not sure how much rain we got but we got a lot. Our back patio was under water for awhile and that only happens if we get around 3-4 inches. This morning at work we would take a moment to occasionally glance out the only window we can see outside from our department and see the drizzling, dreary rain falling on the cars in the parking lot. The day looked overcast most of the day and as noon arrived so did the storms. The sky turned black and the wind and rain picked up. Over the hospital intercom we heard. Mr. T in the building which is our signal for Tornado Warning for the county. As we made bad impressions of " I pity the fool!" to lighten the mood, we moved into the central hallway as to get away from exterior walls and windows. After standing in the hallway for about 30 minutes we were told that the warning was being extended another 30 minutes. After the time elapsed we returned to our department no worse for wear and ready to get back to work only to be told that another line of storms was on it's way from the west and would be arriving in about a hour or so. Of course after work I had to stop at Wally World to get my hunting license to so hunt deer next week.( Now in the mud.) I finished picking up a few items and began my trip home only to be diverted and detoured as the top of a powerpole had snapped in the wind and had fallen into the road. I'm not sure what exactly happened but did notice a pickup truck off the side of the road and the front end was up against a tree. As I was driving home the rain began to become heavier, the wind increased and the sky was dark green but the odd thing was that to the west the sky was blue and the sun was shining. A very surreal experience. Needles called as it was Tuesday and her late night of teaching a night class but after several of her students called to say they would be there and only 5 students showed up, she cancelled class and came home. I have attempted to call my parents in western Kentucky but I think the lines are down as I am getting a fast busy signal. I intend to try again shortly so will have to finish up. I hope that tomorrow bring us better weather and reports of no fatalities in this night of storms.

2 comments:

Ragged Around the Edges said...

Glad you guys are safe and sound. I got nervous when I kept hearing your area on the news!

Ramblin73 said...

I was at work when the line of storms hit. Just alot of wind and rain. I was more worried about down south. We couldn't reach my parents until today.
They are fine but Needles Moms antenna for the TV got blown down. Thanks for thinking about us.