Monday, November 21, 2005

Busy Monday..

I had a busy Monday and I am afraid that Tuesday is going to be busier. I had a nice weekend to think back on. I worked Friday morning wishing I was in a deer stand and while walking out to the garage I was going over and over in my head that it was O.K. to go to work and that all the deer are sleeping in and no one was getting a deer this early in the season. I was almost to the garage when I heard it......A distant sound of a gunshot. That didn't help the displeasure of going to work during deer season. I made it at work until 1:00pm then I had to leave, the deer stand was calling to me. Needles and I packed up what seemed like everything we had and headed south to the old homestead. Unfortunately I could have stayed at work and it would have been fine because I didn't see any deer that evening. Of course the stories from Needles Uncles and I am paraphrasing...." Man the deer were so thick this morning we had to beat them off with a stick. Had deer trying to crawl up into the deer stand with me." They decided to pass on the deer that morning because it was so early in the season. Only to regret there decision later. If the deer had walked by my stand I would have been thrilled to get a chance at one that early in the season. The second day the only deer I saw within range was when it was still dark and no chance of a shot. That evening was uneventful with just hearing cows in the neighboring field responding to my deer grunts. Sunday morning after hearing many shots in the distance and wishing I was seeing more deer, I heard a shot very close that made me jump in my seat. The shot sound came from the direction of one of the Uncles stands. Needles uncle had gotten a 8 point buck. I guessed it would have scored around 100 B&C points. I think he was happy to get it and know he will have meat to go into the freezer this winter. I am glad that he got one as he didn't get to hunt last season even after we set up his stand because of the fields were still being harvested. The last evening of the first season I sat in the stand of the uncle that had just taken a deer that morning and did have a little 6 point buck walk up on me at about 50 yards. I would have taken a shot but I had a branch in the way. If it was a small branch of about the diameter of my finger I might have tried a shot but this branch was a little smaller than a landscaping timber and difficult to aim around. I decided to let him walk and not chance a unethical shot. So I went through the first season without even shooting my gun. I had a good time setting around the kitchen table chatting with Needlefingers family while sipping coffee to warm up. I can't wait until next season and even if the outcome it the same as this one it is nice to visit and talk with the family.

No comments: