Sunday, February 12, 2006

Back to the Vet.

Today I got up around 8 am and after a somewhat restless night, I checked on Copper. He wasn't any better in fact he seemed worse. I did check on him a couple time last night to make sure he was doing O.K. This morning I was hoping to see him scamper back to the back room side by side with Tugger to the food bowl. Instead Tugger won the race with out competition. After a couple minutes Cooper slowly made his way back there only to lick the gravy a couple times and cough and walk away. Alright maybe he can make it til tomorrow and then it is off to the vet. No waiting til Thursday. After a litterbox visit and a rest stop in the kitchen door way because going to the bathroom seemed to wind him, he returned to the living room and his comfy spot by the heater. Then a coughing fit hit him that lasted about a minute. He twisted his head from side to side and swallowed hard throwing his head forward and then back. Once the fit was over he was so weak he flopped over and was on his side only to gasp for breath and then raise his head because laying flat was too hard. THAT"S IT! I'm calling the vet! After making and appointment for 11am and being told that and emergency fee of 78$ would be charge for after hour appointments. I didn't care if they charged $500, I couldn't stand to see Copper suffer anymore. I rolled up to the vets office and waited. The Doc rolled in and we went inside. The Doc said it was probably a relapse of the respiratory infection and that a stronger medication was probably needed. She was going to keep him a day or two since his fever had returned and run some tests for Feline Leuk. and AIDS. Also give him some IV fluids as he seemed to be a little dehyrated and a respiratory treatment. I feel much better now that he was seen by the vet and was told his lungs were clear and that she suspected the nasal drainage was causing the cough, sore throat and residual loss of appetite. Resulting in loss of energy and lethargy. Thanks Cynical for talking with me last night and helping me through and stressful situation. I will keep you posted with more info as it become available to me.

The Dr. told me that the 78$ emergency fee didn't apply since this is a relapse of a previous visit. That was nice.

3 comments:

Rudy said...

Hope Copper gets better. I know how it feels to have a sick pet, you cant help but feel utterly helpless. Our trip didnt end up better for us but it did end up better for Coan. For such a young cat I bet he will pull through with flying colors. See ya Bro.

FarmWife said...

Poor baby! I know that panic when your baby is sick!

Ragged Around the Edges said...

Keep us posted. Poor little guy.