Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Hump day and a trip to the vet.


I had plans to visit one of my friends today. I actually got off work somewhat early and was at his house for about an hour. Long enough to shoot the breeze and catch up on things that has happened since last weekend and I received a call. It was Needles saying that Copper didn't seem himself. We had noticed a couple of coughing fits with him but it only happened once on Monday and once on Tuesday and didn't think too much about it. He was active, eating and seemed fine. Today he didn't eat, was coughing more frequently, had a running nose and was somewhat lethargic. We called the first vet and told them what was going on and after putting us off until tomorrow and thinking Copper only had kennel cough and then realizing he was a kitty, which really made me think, I'm taking my business elsewhere. We called the second vet and was told to bring him in even amidst they had 2 cats that had been hit by cars in there at the moment. God forbid the other place stay open past 5pm on a Wednesday. After getting there Copper started coughing while in the lobby and we took him into a examination room. After checking his temp and it was running 105 they opted to check it again and it was even higher the second time. Normal temp for feline (100-103). The vet listened to his chest and inspected his mouth and throat to find some swelling and abit of a wheeze in his chest. Sooooo he is staying at the vets tonight and getting something to bring his fever down and a antibiotic to knock the bug. The vet decided he better stay there tonight as to keep him from possibly giving it to Tugger. I thought that Tugger might look around for him when we got home but he has returned to his old self of laying in indecent positions by the heater. My thoughts are elsewhere and I can't wait until tomorrow and the prospect of bringing him home again healthy and playful. I know it might take a few days to get back to normal but I can hope. I will post more tomorrow when I know more.

1 comment:

Ragged Around the Edges said...

Poor little Copper. Cooper sends get well wishes and would send a card, but unfortunately he has horrible handwriting.

I hope he's much better and home soon.